Thursday, March 21, 2013

"We all judge. That's our hobby. Some people do arts and crafts; we judge."

Stanford: Before I tell you, you have to promise not to judge.
Carrie: Do I judge?
Stanford: We all judge. That's our hobby. Some people do arts and crafts; we judge.
The more yoga I do, the more enlightened I become, the less I judge.  Would but that were true, but I have to admit to being a bit opinionated.  My friends and I constantly give each other "boyfriends."  We also point out style mistakes, nous sommes aussi les fashion police.  That is all part of my cardio.  However, I also frequently prosecute myself...every time I put on clothes, go for a workout, or eat something...I am constantly in my head judging myself.

This is not a healthy practice.
 
Tonight's yoga session (Taryn's fabulous Tuesday night yoga for recovery @ MokSana focused on Prajnaparadha (noun, Sanskrit) - "Crimes against Wisdom" or deliberate, willful indulgence in unhealthy practices that lead to unbalanced body functions and disease.  Particularly poignant for people in recovery, but also relevant for all of us who energeticaly indulge in negative thought patterns.

Today, I also attended an information session at The Eating Disorders Programme (South Vancouver Island) which really made me think I should have contacted them ages ago, but such is life, hindsight is 20/20.  It embarrasses me to admit that before this challenge, I was a huge (pun intended) binge eater.  It was uncontrollable, I would restrict my eating until after work and then I would get so much junk food and just eat my way through it until the soda was gone, the chips were departed, the mac and cheese was decimated, and the full meal deals were annihilated.  I can't believe I don't have scurvy...I should with my former eating patterns. 

So what did I learn today?  Well, several things.  

This particular Tuesday was the day after the day after St. Patrick's day, so the first thing I learned was that after Sunday's revelry, it was good to get back to my routine of working out both morning and night.  I started today with cardio (treadmill and elliptical), had a bit of a rest and then worked out with Jonathan.  Tuesdays normally mean running stairs, but the ninja switched it up and I did a couple exercises on the Kinesis machine mixed with a rotation of step-ups.  And, I think I'm getting better at lunges amongst other things...yes!  Maybe that's why the ninja was more chatty?  Haha...whatever it was, I'll take it.  Personal training and make-up art are very different fields indeed.  My MAC friends will appreciate this, I have been "style-stepping" my ass off, quite literally!

After a quick blog and some food...I also learned that my walk is still slower than I would like it to be, but I still walked 2.5 kilometers in the winter chill in less time that I thought it would take.  I had no idea that Victoria was so walkable.  

When I got to my destination, I attended a power point presentation on what the eating disorders programme was all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment