Thursday, January 16, 2014

I'd like to make a toast...

...to me.  

Realistically, I would like to make some toast for me...but bread is so 2012.

I am raising that proverbial glass in celebration of 1 full year of healthy lifestyling.  It was exactly 52 weigh-ins ago that I started this journey, and what a ride it has been!   

Starting weight:  292.1 - January 16th, 2013
1st weigh-in:  286.8
2nd weigh-in:  280.1
3rd weigh-in:  276.4
4th weigh-in:  274.1


5th weigh-in:  270.6
6th weigh-in:  266.2
7th weigh-in:  262
8th weigh-in:  261.4
9th weigh-in:  257.7
10th weigh-in 251.4
11th weigh-in 247.3
12th weigh-in 243.6
13th weigh-in 241.7
14th weigh-in 235.4
15th weigh-in 235.4
16th weigh-in 227.7
17th weigh-in 223.5
18th weigh-in 223.5


19th weigh-in 221.6 
20th weigh-in 221.6
21st weigh-in 215.6
22nd weigh-in 213.2
23rd weigh-in 207.9
24th weigh-in 206.6
25th weigh-in 200.1
26th weigh-in 199.7
27th weigh-in 197
28th weigh-in 191.3
29th weigh-in 189.9
30th weigh-in 180.7
31st weigh-in 183.4 
32nd weigh-in 186.4 
33rd weigh-in 186.3
34th weigh-in 174.8
35th weigh-in 174.8
36th weigh-in 170.1
37th weigh-in 169
38th weigh-in 170.2
39th weigh-in 174.7
40th weigh-in 166.4 
41st weigh-in 162.8
42nd weigh-in 159.9
43rd weigh-in 166
44th weigh-in 161.7
45th weigh-in 158.5
46th weigh-in 156.5


47th weigh-in 154.1 
48th weigh-in 153.4
49th weigh-in ???
50th weigh-in 151
51st weigh-in 148.7 - January 8th, 2014
52nd wiegh-in 146.8 - January 15th, 2014

In celebration of this accomplishment, what did I do?  Well, I'm not going to lie, if there is a treat to be had - though nowadays it is usually something like 100g of red meat with chimichurri sauce for dinner rather than an an assortment of classic savoury junk food to be had throughout the day- I'm going to indulge on a Weigh-in Wednesday.  So, what did I Weigh-in Wednesday do?  Well, I Weigh-in Wednesday went to the gym.
I power walked from my place to the Crystal Pool & Fitness Centre...searched out the other ninjas-in-training who had already worked out, chatted for far too long (long enough to cool down completely), and then caught a really bad case of lazy.  My internal monologue went something like this:
Why do I have to work out on a Wednesday, of all days, that should be my day off...shouldn't it?  What if I took today off and then worked out on Saturday (which actually is my 1 day off a week).  I have already worked out, I have walked...and walking is cardio, I mean I was sweating when I got here.  And I'm hungry now, I've run out of carbs.  I can't work out right now...but I could power walk home and then have some lunch.  Tha'd be an hour of working out...though I wouldn't be doing it at the gym...but it still counts, right?  
And then I remembered a habit I adopted back in Montreal when I was going to Marc Gagnon's (speed skater Olympian guy) gym...I made a promise to myself that come Hell or highwater, I would always go to the gym.  I would go, and I would do 10 minutes of working out...and if that was all I could muster, then I would allow myself to stop and do whatever else it was that I needed to do.  But, you know what?  More often than not, if you do 10 minutes, you can do an hour, and if you can do an hour, then you have just tricked yourself into completing a cardio workout...so that's exactly what I did.  It may have also helped that I met a wonderful woman yesterday who stopped for a wee chat as soon as she recognised me from the TC.  Her name was Verna, and she told me that she and her friends had been following my progress.  She then proceeded to call me a goofball and said that goofballs could talk their way out of anything...including exercise.  Little did she know what was going on in my head...so then I really had to work out.  Can't let Verna, who was shopping around for an appropriate rec centre in which to work out herself, down...could I?

No.

In the morning I posted my Weigh-in Wednesday results on Twitter (@suziespitfyre):


Weigh-in Wednesday #52 -1 year later- I am down to 146.8 from 294, that's 147lbs lost! Feeling , , & .

Then I posted this:

Now, how am I going to celebrate my 1 year anniversary? Well, by going to the gym of course..still have 10lbs to go. No rest for the wicked!

Then I had one of those "A-ha" moments:

Lightbulb: I just realised..I now weigh less than the amount of weight that I have lost. Whoa.
 
Which lead eventually to this:

2 celebrate my being 1/2 the size I used 2 B & my 52nd weigh-in..I ran 6.6K in a row..without stopping. Yup, I know how 2 party.  

And with that, I say...PARTY ON, good time girl!  (By the way, when I raised my glass earlier, it was full of water.)
 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Suzy - having disconnected my Twitter account - wanted to drop a note to say thank-you for continuing to catalogue your journey with such honesty and grace. Also to share a link to my own blog http://bessiamabloggernow.blogspot.ca - if you read the description alone I think you will understand why your writing and your path has special meaning to me. With deep appreciation, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to start my own journey to fitness and weight loss and I'm scared to death. I, like you, have a significant amount of weight to lose and have let my fitness go for far too long. Your blog has helped encourage me. For that I thank you and for your dedication and unyielding drive, you should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/26/2014

    You are such an inspiration! I have spent the last couple of weeks reading your blog in its entirety, and even though I haven't met you, I love you for all the amazing things that you have accomplished. I too have a significant amount weight to lose so that I can be healthy and active once more. One of my ultimate goals is to be able to play ball hockey with my son in summer :)

    Thank you for being you and sharing your journey with us. I'm proud of you girl! And I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/27/2014

    Thank you for the great blog. Good job on your hard work and success. I strongly encourage others to make the commitment and become healthy and fit. 2 years ago I lost a pile of wt. I feel great and love how I look. I wasn't unhappy before, but I was slowly getting less motivated and less active. I love the way you have taken on so many new challenges. I think this is one of the keys...sometimes we east out of boredom, or to provide satisfaction that is missing. I took up running-still not my favorite, but I am amazed that I can run 8 km continuous. When I started I couldn't run for 30 seconds!
    Now I have to learn to live and easy like a slim person. Who knew, thin people don't eat boxes of cookies at one sitting. I have no 'fat'clothes, if something is tight, then I have to adjust my exercise and eating. I save my indulgence for really wonderful treats, not son stale doughnut or crappy chocolate bar. I am fanatic about avoiding all hidden sugar...why do I need sugar in a veggie dog? my taste buds have adjusted so that food taste wonderful! Yams are so sweet they are almost a dessert. Yum
    Anyway-thanks for being such an inspiration to all of us and I am shoo hopeful that you will keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/28/2014

    You're looking fabulous, and you've clearly completely changed your mind set and your lifestyle... but just don't take it too far and become obsessed to be thin please. You were marvelous before the weight loss, and you're marvelous now.

    ReplyDelete